Thoughtful Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Reading Is Fun Again. This week:
What are some of your favourite literary tropes?
Well. Weeeell. I may have wasted a lot of time on tvtropes just now. A lot of time. Somebody should just block the site from me. Actually, every time somebody asks me about favourite tropes – in books or television, it doesn’t matter – I can’t even think of any. I’m a sucker for a lot, but I can’t list them off the top of my head. :(
But in the spirit of still trying to answer the question, I ventured to the Harry Potter page on tvtropes because it has so many things I love. >.>
- Boarding School! Put something in a boarding school and you have me hooked. Let’s blame Germany’s obsession with Enid Blyton’s books for this one. It’s not like I had much choice falling for the trope when half the books I used to read as a kid were set in a boarding school.
- Speaking of boarding schools, there’s a series that teaches future Spies! Teenage spies??? Gimme! I don’t know what it is about spies that I love so much. I haven’t actually read many books with spies in them but it’s a fantastic motif that I enjoy in fiction.
- I also really love me a Deadpan Snarker. Sassy/snarky Harry is the best, and so are all other snarktastic characters.
- Magic. You can always lure me in with magic. Always.
- The personification of a walking disaster. I’m not talking about Bella Swan, but I do have a fondness for characters roundabout my age (or older) who are simply not fit to be adults. It warms my bitter heart and comforts me a little, because heaven knows I am utterly incapable of adulthood.